Member Server

microsoft.public.de.windows.homeserver

Peter Downes

Member Server
I have a client that wants to use Windows Home Server as a storgae device
for clients on his network. He wants to use this as a member server to an
SBS2003 server. Can this product be used in this way?

The logic of this request is mostly about cost saving. I have advised him to
use Server 2003/2008, but he would like to explore this avenue first.

Roland Messerschmidt

Re: Member Server
Hi,

Peter Downes schrieb:

> I have a client that wants to use Windows Home Server as a storgae
> device for clients on his network. He wants to use this as a member
> server to an SBS2003 server.

Yes, it is possible, but keep in mind, that you loose the benefits of
the SBS like AD and on the other hand "gain" the limitation of 10
WHS-user!

I'm running both SBS2003 and WHS in my (small) network, but here my
WHS is rather a backup server for the clients and even the SBS!

Roland

Peter Downes

Re: Member Server
Would there be any issues to making this an additional domain controller on
the existing SBS2003 domain?

"Roland Messerschmidt" <nospam@rfc2606.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Peter Downes schrieb:
>
>> I have a client that wants to use Windows Home Server as a storgae
>> device for clients on his network. He wants to use this as a member
>> server to an SBS2003 server.

> Yes, it is possible, but keep in mind, that you loose the benefits of the
> SBS like AD and on the other hand "gain" the limitation of 10 WHS-user!
>
> I'm running both SBS2003 and WHS in my (small) network, but here my WHS is
> rather a backup server for the clients and even the SBS!
>

> Roland

Olaf Engelke

Re: Member Server
Hi Peter,
"Peter Downes" <peter@4dt.co.za> wrote in message
>I have a client that wants to use Windows Home Server as a storgae device
>for clients on his network. He wants to use this as a member server to an
>SBS2003 server. Can this product be used in this way?

if you mean "member server" as a server, which is member of the Active
Directory, no.
It can be used in Workgroup mode, and if the user accounts are identical
with account name and password, the access is seamless for up to 10 users,
but that's it.

> The logic of this request is mostly about cost saving. I have advised him
> to use Server 2003/2008, but he would like to explore this avenue first.

Well, it is still a Home Server - this includes the limitations set
technically or by the EULA.
While it can be very valuable for small offices (like being an additional
backup facility for the clients or even the SBS), it's concept is not
focussed to the business use.
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

> Would there be any issues to making this an additional domain controller
> on the existing SBS2003 domain?

this usage is not permitted by the WHS license and if you try it anyway, the
server would reboot each hour.
So the answer is Yes, there are issues.
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

Roland Messerschmidt

Re: Member Server
Peter,

Peter Downes schrieb:

> Would there be any issues to making this an additional domain
> controller on the existing SBS2003 domain?

the WHS must not be a domain member!
Abnormal behaviour is guaranteed!

Rebooting once an hour or complete shutting down are just two known
possibilities.

Roland

Peter Downes

Re: Member Server
Many thanks...rebooting is already happening with demo. Will advise for full
server license.

"Olaf Engelke" <oenews01@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Peter,
> "Peter Downes" <peter@4dt.co.za> wrote in message
>> Would there be any issues to making this an additional domain controller
>> on the existing SBS2003 domain?
>>

> this usage is not permitted by the WHS license and if you try it anyway,
> the server would reboot each hour.
> So the answer is Yes, there are issues.
> Best greetings from Germany
> Olaf

Bill Sanderson

Re: Member Server
I have two WHS's being used in pretty much this way. They provide redundant
storage for media files--jpgs, avi's, etc--that don't need much security
around them.

Additionally, they provide workstation backup.

This is indeed cheaper than expanding storage on the server, and the backup
mechanism is handy when a drive fails on a workstation.

These are not member servers however--they are independent--no connection to
Active Directory, and completely independent credentials. I have a single
credential which all users have for access to shared storage, and keep the
admin credentials confidential to staff who would need them to restore
backups.

This works, but isn't ideal from a security standpoint.

--

"Peter Downes" <peter@4dt.co.za> wrote in message
>I have a client that wants to use Windows Home Server as a storgae device
>for clients on his network. He wants to use this as a member server to an
>SBS2003 server. Can this product be used in this way?
>
> The logic of this request is mostly about cost saving. I have advised him
> to use Server 2003/2008, but he would like to explore this avenue first.

New Member InerSmith Introduce Yourself 0 12-16-2008 04:26
New Member Carl959 Introduce Yourself 1 12-11-2008 18:32
new member pat2 Introduce Yourself 0 07-30-2008 04:46
New Member se607 Introduce Yourself 1 05-02-2008 12:33
New Member NScott Introduce Yourself 1 03-29-2008 00:09