Will Windows 2003 server software run on WHS?

microsoft.public.de.windows.homeserver

Pat

Will Windows 2003 server software run on WHS?
I've read that WHS is based on Windows Server 2003. Does that mean that
software that runs on Windows Server 2003 (or Windows XP) will also run
on WHS?

I ask because I have a couple of applications that use the FlexLM
license manager software, and I would love to be able to move FlexLM to
a WHS.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Pat
Bill

Re: Will Windows 2003 server software run on WHS?
Pretty much whatever will run on Server 2003 and XP will run on WHS. I have
quite a few extras installed on my WHS and they run fine. The only true
server software I have running is Avast Antivirus and PerfectDisk for WHS
Editions (server and ten client license)

From the following link:

http://www.acresso.com/products/fnp/...quirements.htm

I see the following supported

For Server Implementations:
Windows Server 2008
Windows Vista including SP1 - Business, Enterprise, Ultimate
Windows Server 2003, including SP1 and R2
Windows Server 2000

For Client Applications
Windows Vista including SP1 - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Business,
Enterprise, Ultimate
Windows XP
Windows 2000 SP4
Windows NT SP6a

BullDawg

"Pat" <pkelecy@_REMOVETHIS_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:femdnTQr_oLwrMfUnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
> I've read that WHS is based on Windows Server 2003. Does that mean that
> software that runs on Windows Server 2003 (or Windows XP) will also run on
> WHS?
>
> I ask because I have a couple of applications that use the FlexLM license
> manager software, and I would love to be able to move FlexLM to a WHS.
>
> Thanks for any feedback on this.
>
> Pat

Pat

Re: Will Windows 2003 server software run on WHS?
Thanks Bill!. That's good to hear.

I'm considering replacing an existing NAS with a HP MediaSmart Server
running WHS, and being able to run a few extra services (like this
flexlm license managing software) would be a big plus.

So is the Antivirus you're running for your WHS or clients? Is this
something else I need to consider if I go this direction (I have AV now
on my PC's, of course, but didn't think I would need it for WHS as well).

Pat

Bill wrote:
> Pretty much whatever will run on Server 2003 and XP will run on WHS. I have
> quite a few extras installed on my WHS and they run fine. The only true
> server software I have running is Avast Antivirus and PerfectDisk for WHS
> Editions (server and ten client license)
>
> From the following link:
>
> http://www.acresso.com/products/fnp/...quirements.htm
>
> I see the following supported
>
> For Server Implementations:
> Windows Server 2008
> Windows Vista including SP1 - Business, Enterprise, Ultimate
> Windows Server 2003, including SP1 and R2
> Windows Server 2000
>
> For Client Applications
> Windows Vista including SP1 - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Business,
> Enterprise, Ultimate
> Windows XP
> Windows 2000 SP4
> Windows NT SP6a
>
> BullDawg
>
> "Pat" <pkelecy@_REMOVETHIS_gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:femdnTQr_oLwrMfUnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>> I've read that WHS is based on Windows Server 2003. Does that mean that
>> software that runs on Windows Server 2003 (or Windows XP) will also run on
>> WHS?
>>
>> I ask because I have a couple of applications that use the FlexLM license
>> manager software, and I would love to be able to move FlexLM to a WHS.
>>
>> Thanks for any feedback on this.
>>
>> Pat

Bill

Re: Will Windows 2003 server software run on WHS?
If you plan on installing additional software, you might want to consider
something other than the MediaSmart. HP has somewhat locked it down for
additional software installs. As far as I know, most .msi installers will
work, but most .exe installers are locked out by some (unknown to me)
security protocol. There's nowhere to connect a monitor, and it comes with
no mouse or keyboard. Instead, the back-panel simply has a power cable
input, a networking jack, and a handful of other ports for expanding your
storage capacity with external drives. Also, there is a new version due out
in Feb but can be pre-ordered starting Jan 5.

I would suggest building your own or repurpose your existing desktop as a
WHS. OEM copies of WHS are going for $99 on Newegg. That's what I did, I
repurposed an old HP a1600n as my WHS. I did move it all into a new case
with an efficient power supply and room for 8 hard drives. Then I built a
new desktop for less than a MediaSmart would have cost. My monitor has both
VGA and DVI/HDMI inputs, so I have both connected to the same monitor with
the WHS using the VGA and the new desktop using the DVI. My WHS currently
has 6 hard drives with 4TB of storage.

As for the Antivirus, see the following link.

One, two, and three year licenses are available with the one year starting
at less than $40. It's quite a deal.

Also, recommend the following site for more info.

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/

> Thanks Bill!. That's good to hear.
>
> I'm considering replacing an existing NAS with a HP MediaSmart Server
> running WHS, and being able to run a few extra services (like this flexlm
> license managing software) would be a big plus.
>
> So is the Antivirus you're running for your WHS or clients? Is this
> something else I need to consider if I go this direction (I have AV now on
> my PC's, of course, but didn't think I would need it for WHS as well).
>
> Pat
>

> Bill wrote:
>> Pretty much whatever will run on Server 2003 and XP will run on WHS. I
>> have quite a few extras installed on my WHS and they run fine. The only
>> true server software I have running is Avast Antivirus and PerfectDisk
>> for WHS Editions (server and ten client license)
>>
>> From the following link:
>>
>> http://www.acresso.com/products/fnp/...quirements.htm
>>
>> I see the following supported
>>
>> For Server Implementations:
>> Windows Server 2008
>> Windows Vista including SP1 - Business, Enterprise, Ultimate
>> Windows Server 2003, including SP1 and R2
>> Windows Server 2000
>>
>> For Client Applications
>> Windows Vista including SP1 - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium,
>> Business, Enterprise, Ultimate
>> Windows XP
>> Windows 2000 SP4
>> Windows NT SP6a
>>
>> BullDawg
>>
>> "Pat" <pkelecy@_REMOVETHIS_gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:femdnTQr_oLwrMfUnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>>> I've read that WHS is based on Windows Server 2003. Does that mean that
>>> software that runs on Windows Server 2003 (or Windows XP) will also run
>>> on WHS?
>>>
>>> I ask because I have a couple of applications that use the FlexLM
>>> license manager software, and I would love to be able to move FlexLM to
>>> a WHS.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any feedback on this.
>>>
>>> Pat

Olaf Engelke

Re: Will Windows 2003 server software run on WHS?
Hi Pat,
Pat wrote:
> I'm considering replacing an existing NAS with a HP MediaSmart Server
> running WHS, and being able to run a few extra services (like this
> flexlm license managing software) would be a big plus.

if you consider the new HP Mediasmart servers, it's ok, the old one are a
bit weak to cover additional stuff (slow CPU, low amount of memory).

> So is the Antivirus you're running for your WHS or clients? Is this
> something else I need to consider if I go this direction (I have AV
> now on my PC's, of course, but didn't think I would need it for WHS
> as well).

Antivirus software should be designed for WHS, to avoid it to interact badly
with the WHS core components and data. Also if you install software, ensure,
that it doesn't use the same disk space as the storage pool if the access is
not exclusively done via the WHS shared folders. If this is not possible,
add a disk later and do not put it into the storage pool.

Software designed for Windows Server 2003 can run, but must not in each case
(especially all Active Directory stuff will not, since adding WHS to AD or
running it as Domain controller is not allowed).

Best greetings from Germany
Olaf