Replacing a HD in a WHS?

microsoft.public.de.windows.homeserver

Nigel Molesworth

Replacing a HD in a WHS?
I want to replace the HD in a WHS with a larger one. There is no room for a
second drive, so this is my only option.

Can I use something like Acronis True Image?

--

Nigel M

If I'm discussing apples, please don't suggest bananas
Roland Messerschmidt

Re: Replacing a HD in a WHS?
Nigel,

Nigel Molesworth schrieb:

> I want to replace the HD in a WHS with a larger one.

System or Data?

> There is no
> room for a second drive, so this is my only option.

Dependend on the first question there a several ways to do it
(external usb/fw hd, second hd temporarly installed with case
open,...)

> Can I use something like Acronis True Image?

Don't do this! Not supported and you will install your WHS a second
time...

Roland

Nigel Molesworth

Re: Replacing a HD in a WHS?
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:36:50 +0100, "Roland Messerschmidt"
<nospam@rfc2606.invalid> wrote:

>> I want to replace the HD in a WHS with a larger one.

>System or Data?

Both on the same disk.

Bill Sanderson

Re: Replacing a HD in a WHS?
You need to back up the data.

There is a procedure for backing up the backup database itself in this
document:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...d_Restore.docx

If you've backed up the data in the shared folders, and the backup database,
you can install from scratch on the new larger drive, re-create the shared
folders and the users, and then restore the backed up shared data and the
backed up backup database, using the procedure in that document. You'll
need to re-run discover.exe on each machine to reestablish the connection to
the server from the Connector software.

Backing up the backup database is optional, obviously--but if you want to
come through in the end with something that looks just like the current
system but with the larger drive, this is what I'd do.

--

"Nigel Molesworth" <reply@thegroup.email.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:36:50 +0100, "Roland Messerschmidt"
> <nospam@rfc2606.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> I want to replace the HD in a WHS with a larger one.

>>System or Data?

> Both on the same disk.

Olaf Engelke

Re: Replacing a HD in a WHS?
Hi Nigel,
>I want to replace the HD in a WHS with a larger one. There is no room for a
> second drive, so this is my only option.
>
> Can I use something like Acronis True Image?

as others have already said, using imaging tools for the WHS system disk is
not supported and restoring to different harddisk will fail.
Besides that the better method would still be to replace the computer case
and add the new disk as a second drive.
With only one disk you have no access to some of the more appealing features
of WHS like folder duplication and are always totally lost, if the disk is
going to break.
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

Nigel Molesworth

Re: Replacing a HD in a WHS?
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:05:52 -0500, "Bill Sanderson"
<bill_sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>You need to back up the data.

Is there any way to do this by installing WHS on the new drive, then sucking
the data off the old drive which is connected in a temporary fashion?

Roland Messerschmidt

Re: Replacing a HD in a WHS?

Nigel Molesworth schrieb:

> Is there any way to do this by installing WHS on the new drive,
> then sucking the data off the old drive which is connected in a
> temporary fashion?

Yes, of course! Since you have only one drive, it's simple too. Just
look in your shares folder at the D: partition...

I'd recommend not to transfer the client backup information and start
a new set of backups.

But another thought: why not just use an external drive (USB or
firewire) to add disk space to your whs?
So you would not need to reinstall your brick and fuss about the data
transfer...

Roland

Bill Sanderson

Re: Replacing a HD in a WHS?
As Roland Messerschmidt says--yes, of course.

Once you've clean installed WHS on the new drive, you can attach the old
drive, but NOT add it to the drives the server uses directly, and copy the
data. In fact, I have a drive that I've done similar with---it was the
second drive--i.e. not the boot drive, and it showed signs of hardware
failure (I'm now awaiting shipment of a new drive.) So, I installed a new
drive, removed the old drive, and, once the dust settled, plugged the "old"
drive back in to do some testing. I used it to back up the server, just to
test how that worked.
--

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:05:52 -0500, "Bill Sanderson"
> <bill_sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>You need to back up the data.

> Is there any way to do this by installing WHS on the new drive, then
> sucking
> the data off the old drive which is connected in a temporary fashion?

Roland Messerschmidt

Re: Replacing a HD in a WHS?
Bill,

Bill Sanderson schrieb:

> In fact, I have a drive that I've
> done similar with---it was the second drive--i.e. not the boot
> drive, and it showed signs of hardware failure

in that case, I'd have installed the new drive as 3rd drive and then
revoked the faulty drive from the data pool. After load balancing
(which can take quite a long time...) finished you also could have
removed the faulty drive free of hassle.

Roland

rujmeko@gmail.com

Re: Replacing a HD in a WHS?
On 30 ╬¤Đ┬, 16:16, Nigel Molesworth <re...@thegroup.email.invalid>
wrote:
> I want to replace the HD in a WHS with a larger one. There is no room fora
> second drive, so this is my only option.
>
> Can I use something like Acronis True Image?
>
> --
>
> Nigel M
>
> If I'm discussing apples, please don't suggest bananas

To transfer the system, you must first install the disk in the
computer. If your computer doesn't have a bay for
another hard disk, you can temporarily install it in place of your CD
drive or use a USB 2.0
connection to the external target disk. If that is not possible, you
can clone a hard disk by
creating a disk image and restoring it to a new hard disk with larger
partitions.
There are two transfer modes available: automatic and manual.
In the automatic mode, you will only have to take a few simple actions
to transfer all the
data, including partitions, folders and files, to a new disk, making
it bootable if the original
disk was bootable.
There will be only one difference between these disks - partitions on
the newer disk will be
larger. Everything else, including the installed operating systems,
data, disk labels, settings,
software and everything else on the disk, will remain the same.