Help adding additional HD, NOT server storage

microsoft.public.de.windows.homeserver

Jim

Help adding additional HD, NOT server storage
I've added a separate external HD to WHS but I don't want to use it as
additional server storage, just as a regular drive.

The problem is that the new drive letter does not show up, how can I fix
this?

TIA

Jim

Olaf Engelke [MVP Windows Server]

Re: Help adding additional HD, NOT server storage
Hi Jim,
"Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've added a separate external HD to WHS but I don't want to use it as
> additional server storage, just as a regular drive.
>
> The problem is that the new drive letter does not show up, how can I fix
> this?

open a console session to Windows Home Server (either local or
Remotedesktop).
Start / Run / diskmgmt.msc
Here you can create a separate partition, format it and assign a drive
letter.
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

Jim

Re: Help adding additional HD, NOT server storage
Olaf,

Sorry, need more help. My system has an internal C and D drives plus I just
added and external hard drive which already has data on it.

When I open diskmgmt I see the following:
Sys C 20 meg
Data D 278 meg
Data 149 meg
Data 31 meg

I then went to view/settings and from there I'm not certain which option to
select and what to do.
unallocated
Primary partion
Extended partion
etc

Many thanks

Jim

"Olaf Engelke [MVP Windows Server]" <oenews01@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Jim,
> "Jim" <jrwolfe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I've added a separate external HD to WHS but I don't want to use it as
>> additional server storage, just as a regular drive.
>>
>> The problem is that the new drive letter does not show up, how can I fix
>> this?
>>

> open a console session to Windows Home Server (either local or
> Remotedesktop).
> Start / Run / diskmgmt.msc
> Here you can create a separate partition, format it and assign a drive
> letter.
> Best greetings from Germany
> Olaf

Jim

Re: Help adding additional HD, NOT server storage
Sorry Olaf, I now understand what I was seeing. Added the drive letter E and
everything is fine. My external drive appears - many thanks.