Backup your home server?

microsoft.public.de.windows.homeserver

GauiC

Backup your home server?
I haven't found anyting about how to backup the home server itself.
Does anyone know if there is any "official" way of backing up the home
server?

Gc

~~Alan~~

Re: Backup your home server?
I was searching M/S for an English version of this newsgroup but their
doesn't seem to be any yet.

To answer your question:

You will need enough storage to hold a full backup of the server plus
incrementals and/or differentials. I use a tool from Server 2000 or 2003
resource kit called RoboCopy. This tool is similar to Xcopy, but can deal
with
NTFS attributes.

If the worst were to happen, I would:
1. Reinstall and reconfigure my OS - Should be easy enough.
2. Recover my files. Again, easy enough.

A backup product should be able to recover to a blank and unformatted disk,
but your
home server is probably configured with Raid Level 0, many disks appearing
as and acting as one disk. You would have to prepare this configuration in
the BIOS before recovering.

~alan

"GauiC" <gudjonmar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I haven't found anyting about how to backup the home server itself.
> Does anyone know if there is any "official" way of backing up the home
> server?
>
> Gc

Olaf Engelke [MVP Windows Server]

Re: Backup your home server?
Hello,
"GauiC" <gudjonmar@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I haven't found anyting about how to backup the home server itself.
> Does anyone know if there is any "official" way of backing up the home
> server?

welcome in the German Windows Home Server newsgroup.
Currently there is no real solution for backing up the Windows Home Server
implemented.
Given the fact, that a thunderstorm might hit all PCs including the Home
Server holding the backups, this is a serious issue. But on the other side
the usage of big enough external volumes (disk, tape) would still be
expensive for the hardware and involve the manual handling, which WHS tries
to avoid as a selling point to consumers.
So for the extreme situations Windows Home Server is still not well
prepared.

For the less serious situations there are workarounds like:
- hardware mirror of the system disk
- folder duplication for shares
- usage of ntbackup to perform jobs on the RDP console level by saving
certain contents to files.
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

GauiC

Re: Backup your home server?
I didn't find any english newsgroups for the WHS so I tried to post here
( I will translate using Babel Fish )

I also thought that folder duplication and hardware mirroring would be the
way to go but I think that some kind of backup solution for the home server
should be considered, even just as an option.
Thank you all for your answers.

Greetings from Iceland
Gaui

German?:
Ich fand keine englischen newsgroup für das WHS, also versuchte ich, hier
bekanntzugeben (ich übersetze mit Babel Fischen ) Ich dachte auch, daß
Heftverdopplung und das Kleinteilwiderspiegeln die Weise sein würden zu
gehen, aber ich, daß irgendeine Art Aushilfslösung für den Hauptbediener
betrachtet werden sollte, sogar gerade als Wahl denke. Danke aller für Ihre
Antworten.
Grüße von Island
Gaui

"GauiC" <gudjonmar@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I haven't found anyting about how to backup the home server itself.
> Does anyone know if there is any "official" way of backing up the home
> server?
>
> Gc

Olaf Engelke [MVP Windows Server]

Re: Backup your home server?
Hi,
>I didn't find any english newsgroups for the WHS so I tried to post here
>( I will translate using Babel Fish )

such translations are sometimes funny, but hard to understand.

> I also thought that folder duplication and hardware mirroring would be the
> way to go but I think that some kind of backup solution for the home
> server should be considered, even just as an option.

I agree here.
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

Martin Rothschink

Re: Backup your home server?
Olaf Engelke [MVP Windows Server] wrote:
> Hello,
> "GauiC" <gudjonmar@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> I haven't found anyting about how to backup the home server itself.
>> Does anyone know if there is any "official" way of backing up the
>> home server?
>>

> For the less serious situations there are workarounds like:
> - hardware mirror of the system disk
> - folder duplication for shares
> - usage of ntbackup to perform jobs on the RDP console level by saving
> certain contents to files.

NtBackup is NOT working! This is dokumented by MS. It's not working on the
shares either.
More details in the German Home Server Forum:
http://forum.home-server-blog.de/vie...php?f=28&t=795

I recommend that you save all your data from the shares. Connect a USB drive
to a client and use either robocopy /mir or a working backup software. I
found that NtBackup, TrueImage File backup are NOT working, whereas Nero 7
BackItUp is working well.

--
Regards
Martin Rothschink