intro to vista comunity

Introduce Yourself

django47 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
intro to vista comunity
Hi to everyone at 'Vistaheads',
I came across this site while looking for some info regarding something I'm stuck on.
Curiosity got the better of me and I started reading some posts by members looking some help with problems they got stuck on.
I have to confess, I was amazed at the level these members IT knowlege was at. I had to check because I thought that I was reading somethiing that was posted by a computer professional. I couldn't understand the question let alone the answer.
I am a 64 year old male and to be honest, the first time I ever came near to a computer, I was well into my 60s. I come from an age when my fingers of my right hand was always stained by blue ink. During maths lessons I dreamed that one day someone would invent a gadget that could do adding up and all other different sums and it would fit in my blazer pocket. Dream on, I read too many sci-fi comics I would tell myself.
But I do try to live in the present and keep up with what the rest of the world is doing, I even bought a laptop couple of years ago. I spent a kings ransom on Windows Vista books and tried to master the art of using a pc.
I never stop being amazed at the sheer volume of stuff one needs to know just to get by using a computer. In fact their is so much that the one thing I do know for certain is that I will not live long enough to learn a fraction of what I should. It's like a different language which one needs to grow up with from infancy. Unfortunately that puts me at a disadvantage and thats why I registered with Vistaheads, as well as others. I need help and advice and I lay my cards on the table now just so no one thinks that I am a total idiot as at some point I'm sure I will need advice to solve a problem that your 10 year old child will regard as second nature.
Like I say, when I was brought up, computers and suchlike were strictly science fiction, even pocket calculaters were yet to be invented and on a saturday night we played our 78 rpm plastic records on a wind-up gramaphone player that looked more like a victorian furniture item than a record player, and had I kept ours instead of using it for firewood, it would be worth a bob or two as an antique today.
Please forgive me for rambling on so much, I just hope you can be patient with me when I ask for help.
Thank you for taking the trouble to read this.
Micky (django47)

My intro LunarSoul Introduce Yourself 0 09-13-2010 04:02
Intro & Greetings Toyman Introduce Yourself 0 12-17-2009 00:47
my vista intro lizrene Introduce Yourself 0 11-18-2009 23:39
Intro kyle Introduce Yourself 0 11-05-2008 14:45
Vista intro and help carsong57 Introduce Yourself 1 04-27-2008 19:57