Hello everyone / could you please help?

Introduce Yourself

fdhior is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone / could you please help?
I'm Fdhior from Mexico, I've been working with computers for a while, and loved/hated most of the windows versions, specially when they become hard to deal with, anyway, I have the following problem:

I have two compaq computers running vista home basic, on one of them is a delphi witten program that works with a mysql data base, let's call it computer one, the program connects to the mysql server as a client, processes some data and sends it directly to the local printing paralell port, this is specified in custom ini file like:

port=LPT1

this is how the system normally works, but them I found this machines don't have a paralell port built in anymore, so I used a USB to Paralell port adaptor, everything is fine, both printer and adaptor are detected and installed correctly, only that I can't print directly to the port (USB001) as I used to.

To solve this I shared the printer, then I specified in the ini file the name of the shared resource like this:

port=\\computer1\printeriliketoprintto

everything works fine in computer one, the problem started when I tried to print from computer two, the client program connects to the server on computer one, and sends the data to the shared resource like in computer one, the printer is installed as shared printer on this machine, still, I get an I/O error from the program when I try to print.

If I try to print from an application like word there's no problem, but I got the same problem if a try to print from a DOS box, like:

C:\>type text.txt>\\computer1\printeriliketoprintto

the error is:
access denied

now, could you please tell me (anyone) if is possible make this work?, I used to do this on XP, and worked, I've been stuck on this for two weeks now, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.D. Sorry if I didn't tell so much about me