Looking for fingerprint reader software

Introduce Yourself

Location: The South of France
SoftHorse is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for fingerprint reader software
Bonjour y'a all... I'm writing from the sunny shores of the Med, but that doesn't help much when, having puchased a Dell XPS M1210 complete with Vista Ultimate, I later had the bad idea of ordering a fingerprint reader from them which, when received, came with no software whatsoever. Upon contacting them by 'phone, "no problem, we'll get that to you straight away", but nothing happened. SO I'M LOOKING FOR SOME SOFTWARE THAT'LL WORK WITH THE UPEK. No joy so far on any forums. Can anyone help? Merci...
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi SoftHorse,

lucky you on the Med I am absolutley freezing here, there's a chill wind a blowing outside...

Check out this page on their website Welcome To UPEK - Support - Downloads

I never really liked the idea of biometric readers. If someone wants to break in to a PC or room then they will need you, or a part of your body there to do it... he he...

regards

Steve

Location: The South of France
SoftHorse is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fingerprint reader software
Thanks for the reply Steve. Half useful, as I already had the driver installed, you helped me update it. But what I'm after is a PROGRAM to be able to USE the equipment ! Fine it being recognised as installed hardware, but without software it's useless. I've tried a last ditch attempt at e-mailing Dell, telling them that so far they sold me the stuff under false pretences. Failing a satisfactory reply from them I'll probably blow a gasket, then calm down and get straight through to Big Michael. Happy days...
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi SoftHorse,

no need to blow a gasket and sure Big Michael is busy trying to clear up the mess that ensued when he decided to leave a few years back....

so the software you need is called UPEK« Protector Suite QL the only the only thing is that may be Manufacturer specific, I know you have a Dell but they only seem to have software for built in readers on laptops. You could try out this from Sony and see how it goes Sony eSupport - VGN-UX180P - Software Updates & Drivers

regards

Steve

Location: The South of France
SoftHorse is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fingerprint reader
Thanx, but nogo. After a heavy download and short installation, says "Not compatible with your system". Someone out there is very happy to sell useless equipment, even to a premium purchaser of their hardware (more than 4000 Euros for a laptop, all gizmos included at the time, must hit the highs). Anyway, having wiped the vaseline off, I'm not finished. I'll keep you posted Steve.