Newbee a with Vista/Toshiba

Introduce Yourself

Newbie

AALOOPY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbee a with Vista/Toshiba
I bought my wife a new Toshiba Laptop A215-S4697 to replace her Dell 600m that had a shorted mother board. We have had nothing but trouble with Toshiba and Vista. Since the day we took it out of the box it will not show the DVD drive. I called toshiba and was told its a Windows issue to call MS. I though that was screwed as it came out of the box with this issue. I have almost givin up on the piece of junk. as far as vista goes I dislike it so much that I'm the new owner of a MacBook. If I cant get her Toshiba D drive to work with Vista I'm going to set it on fire in my back yard and buy her an Apple..... Any help would be great. LOL that would look nice!!! Anyway now that my rant is over I wanted to say that I this this forum is great. I have found many helpfull post on it and would like to thank everyone.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Hi aaloopy,

welcome aboard

I think Toshiba have a cheek to say that it is a MS issue. They gave it to you then knowing that the DVD wouldnt work. Big shame on them

Tell us what errors you are getting and we'll try and get it going,

regards

Steve
Newbie

AALOOPY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only message I get is in the device manager under that drive. It says error code 10. When I googled it it seems to be a generic code. I believe the drivers are no good. When I try to update the driver It just says my current driver in the latest one. I hope SP1 will have a driver update. I have not look into other software to make the drive work..........=0
Newbie

AALOOPY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!!
Update
This solved my problem. Buyer beware. Thanks for the boat anchor Toshiba!

In the Registry Editor window, in the left pane, double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.
In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, double-click the System folder.
In the System folder, double-click the CurrentControlSet folder.
In the CurrentControlSet folder, double-click the Control folder.
In the Control folder, double-click the Class folder.
In the Class folder, click to select the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder.
In the right pane, click to select the UpperFilters registry value.
On the menu bar, click Edit.
In the Edit menu, click Delete.
In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click the Yes button.
In the right pane, click to select the LowerFilters registry value.
On the menu bar, click Edit.
In the Edit menu, click Delete.
In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click the Yes button.
NOTE: Do not delete the UpperFiltersBak or LowerFiltersBak registry values.

Close the Registry Editor window.
Restart the computer.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Thanks for the update AALOOPY

It looks like Toshiba are cutting corners just like Dell did before things started to go downhill.

regards

Steve
Newbie

AALOOPY is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I am so done with Toshiba and Microsoft. This POS wont even open Explorer half the time. I bought the boat anchor to get rid of my wife PC troubles, man oh man I spend time on that POS every day. Its like one problem after another and the thing that really pisses me off is that it came like this out of the ****ing box from Toshiba. I will never again in my life buy anything from To****a not even a toaster!!!!! I'm putting this Satellite into orbit on Ebay next week and getting her a MAcBook.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
so eloquently put... brilliantly said...he he...