How to separate Explorer taskbar links and IE7 toolbar links (break the link to work independently. Like in Mozilla).
This is something i wanted to do w/IE7 (tried IE8 for a day) since i became more familiar w/Firefox. I want to put my webmail urls on the links across the top and job sites down in the taskbar links. I going to try to explain this in a step approach for those who have trouble understanding what i want.
1) open IE. 2) go down to the task bar on the bottom, UnLock & Right Click > select Toolbar>links
(check mark-active) 3) drag a few URL (favicon) down just to the right of the links gridlines, so it is now in Links(taskbar). 4) now guess WHAT HAPPENS! >it shows up in the IE toolbar "Links".
Or, drag it/url up to the toolbar and it shows up in the taskbar down below.
5) delete a URL icon in either location and it disappear in both locations.
6) finally to see independent functionality download Mozilla Browser called FireFox 3.5.8 (U.S.english for Windows) or the newest vers.
Mozilla Firefox 3.5
7) in the Firefox menu tab "bookmarks" 5th line down, you will see its version of independent links(active by menu tab: View>Toolbar>Bookmarks Toolbar.
8) add/drag or delete URLs/favicon to the toolbar
or the explorer link taskbar at the bottom and isolated/not tied together.
(And it's not the config\systemprofile\links folder. "Search" gives > MS/computer mfg Promo stuff that's pushed)
One idea is to edit the registry,
has a DataValue as "links".
Could be as simple as: "deleting the DataValue, or creating new value/name called "BookMarks" or changing it to "None"/"0".
Tried days of google searching, but no luck
from IE in old XP kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
To HowtoGeek.com came up empty on this.
Even to Vista's big web "forums","x64" and other blogs > noth'n.
Where's the computer genius/geek to solve this mini hack, to break this link.
It's the same in XpSp3 and in Vista IE7 (not sure about IE8)
I doubt i'm not the only one who would like to see this solved.