Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

I can't surf the web with any browser, but can still download from Steam and Limewire!?!?

Internet

Speedup My PC
Old 09-03-2008

SWood84 is on a distinguished road
I can't surf the web with any browser, but can still download from Steam and Limewire!?!?
I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Up until recently, I could surf the web using Internet Explorer 7. Now, I can't do anything. I tried Firefox without success. When I try to correct the problem under Network Diagnostics, I'm give the error "www.microsoft.com" cannot establish a connection on port "World Wide Web server (HTTP)" on this computer. However, I can connect to Limewire and Steam, and can still download music/games, and the Network center shows a connection to the Internet. Please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2008

bb6630 is on a distinguished road
Re: I can't surf the web with any browser, but can still download from Steam and Limewire!?!?
I have the same problem. This is the error I get from Firefox:

Failed to connect.
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.com.
Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.
- Could the site be temporarily unavailable?
- Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
- Is your computer or network protected by a firewall proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with web browsing

AIM and Skype work fine, though.

I live in Japan and it's pretty much impossible to get computer help because my computer is in English - not Japanese.

Any suggestions???
Old 02-13-2009

sas2506 is on a distinguished road
Re: I can't surf the web with any browser, but can still download from Steam and Limewire!?!?
Arrgh, yes I have the same problem! I can connect to the internet via Steam and Ventrilo and Guild Wars, allsorts, yet my IE7 wont connect and neither will my AVG connect to update. AVG returns extremely fast that it cannot connect - no thinking time involved!

Its not the connection as the same happens from more than one network - yes, I tried!

I pinged the internet and it can see it, as in I get a ping response from 'www.google.com' etc, so it is connecting!

It has been said that its a http protcol problem, but I have no idea how to sort it out, and neither do the guys here in the office.

Any help would be amazing, have you guys still got the same problem? If not, how did you fix it?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2009

huggie54 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas2506 View Post
Arrgh, yes I have the same problem! I can connect to the internet via Steam and Ventrilo and Guild Wars, allsorts, yet my IE7 wont connect and neither will my AVG connect to update. AVG returns extremely fast that it cannot connect - no thinking time involved!

Its not the connection as the same happens from more than one network - yes, I tried!

I pinged the internet and it can see it, as in I get a ping response from 'www.google.com' etc, so it is connecting!

It has been said that its a http protcol problem, but I have no idea how to sort it out, and neither do the guys here in the office.

Any help would be amazing, have you guys still got the same problem? If not, how did you fix it?

Thanks!
Turn user accounts off in control panel then try explorer.
Old 04-15-2009

morenoa0922 is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem. Initially I had IE 7, and it would work partially. but some pages would not open (I noticed it when I tried to download the driver for my network printer from the HP website). I tried downloading Firefox but it would not connect.

I decided to upgrade to IE 8 and now nothing works. IE8 cannot open ANY web page.

My internet connection is fine (it just downloaded a bunch of Vista updates).

I tried turning off the user accounts but it didn't work. I disabled add-ons, rebooted my router, cleared my history (not that I have any...)... nada.

help!.
Old 04-16-2009

morenoa0922 is on a distinguished road
Finally something that solved the problem of Internet Explorer 8 and FireFox not working on Vista Ultimate when the internet connection is working.

It was Norton... When I initially built the computer I installed Norton 360 on a 60 day evaluation period. Later I decided to go for Symantec, so I uninstalled Norton and Installed another versio

I finally found a post in another forum (Internet explorer/Firefox failed to connect - Security Home Users)

Someone recommended runnig the Norton Removal tool Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

so I did it. I uninstalled my anyirus, then ran the removal tool, then installed it again and IT WORKED!!! Both browsers work fine now!!!

I hope this helps someone too.
Old 04-17-2009

Chap is on a distinguished road
IE uses port 80 for no secure connects. Limewire uses port 6346...etc. The problem is usually with your Antivirus Program or your Firewall blocking access to the Internet. Try disabling or relaxing your security in these applications.

Chap