Laptop won't connect to my Netgear router

Internet

wildkat is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laptop won't connect to my Netgear router
I have just set up a Broadband account with Manx Telecom.

My friend came round to set up my NETGEAR DG834G router. My laptop has connected wirelessly to this same model router before at 2 separate locations without any difficulty.

My friend could not get my laptop to load the router's page by putting 192.168.0.1 in IE's address bar. But her laptop did it first try. She set up all the ISP details and disabled security settings so that my laptop could connect to it.

My laptop is seeing my router - full signal but when I instruct it to connect it continually fails.

One of my neighbours has the same model router which is showing up in my available networks list with a red X next to it. Could this have something to do with why mine keeps failing to connect.

My friend was able to surf the net without any difficulty on her laptop, and she set up a new name and password for my router so that I didn't accidentally access any other Netgears in range.

I would really appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer.

wildkat is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More confusion
Just to add to the confusion:

My friend brought her router to my house and we re-set it with my ISP details, again her laptop connected without any effort and mine continually failed to connnect even though my network was the strongest signal, and the only unsecured one available.

We used an Ethernet cable to connect the Netgear router to my Dell laptop and right away it connected. I could go online and load the router's setup page. But once we took the ethernet cable out the same cycle of it failing to connect wirelessly continued. I tried setting a WEP password and manually setting up the Network connection, but again to no avail.

To make matters even more confusing we took both Netgear routers round to my friend's house and in succession set each one up with her ISP detials. My Dell laptop connected wirelessly first time to both routers.

Please help - anyone!!

schumacher6 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: More confusion
can you only get a local connection via wireless or do you get no connection at all it does sound like your security key or passphrase may be different from the router