Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE 7 seems half-broken after Vista updates

Internet

Speedup My PC
Old 06-27-2008

ChemKneazle is on a distinguished road
IE 7 seems half-broken after Vista updates
I'm going to try to be as descriptive as possible in this post so it may be long, but I want to make sure all the info is there.

Computer: ASUS M50Sv-A1 Notebook
Browser: Internet Explorer 7

Ever since I downloaded & installed a recent (within the last 2 months) set of Vista updates, my Internet Explorer seems to crash every now & then. It crashes most often when I go to double-click my Gmail notifier in the Sys tray which is set to open my Gmail inbox in an IE 7 browser.

The problem is this:

Sometimes, but not all the time, (I'd say 65% of the time), this happens. The Operation Aborted window pops up and when I click OK I get a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" window as if my Internet connection is off.

When I open my Gmail in a Firefox browser, everything works fine. So it's got to be an exclusively-IE problem.

It had been occurring more and more frequently so I decided to go back to a previous image of my harddrive (I use Acronis TrueImage). I was convinced it was a Vista update that I installed that caused my computer to start doing this because it seemed to start happening right after I downloaded the updates in the beginning of June. I decided to install the same Vista updates immediately after I re-imaged to see if it was, in fact, those updates that were causing IE to crash and not something else I had installed.

Sure enough, I installed the updates right after I restored the previous image and after a few attempts at opening my Gmail via the SysTray icon, I started getting the same message as in the image above. (Let me note here that it doesn't matter whether I try to open Gmail via the SysTray icon or by opening a new browser window and manually typing in gmail.com - it messes up both ways.)

So I figured it had to be an issue with the Vista updates I had recently installed. I decided to re-image my HDD yet again and this time, I wasn't going to install all the updates right away. This time, I installed all the updates EXCEPT the IE7 update, figuring it was most likely that one that would be the culprit.

It wasn't.

I downloaded all the updates except that one and still I am getting the "Operation Aborted" popup about 65% of the time that I try to open Gmail in my browser.

Let me also point out that it's not just Gmail that I'm having trouble with. A few websites I try to go to, which I had no problem visiting before, give me the same popup, it's just that I check my email so frequently that that's when I see it most often. And like with Gmail, the error doesn't occur every single time I try to go to a different website - only sometimes.

So does anybody have any clue of what this problem could possibly be? I'm completely frustrated. I have no idea of how to figure out which update it is that's messing things up without re-imaging 20 times, each time not installing one of those updates. I don't think I could do that. Here is a shot of the most recent Vista updates I've installed (I still haven't installed the IE 7 security update just yet):

Recap:
  • Everything works fine in Firefox, but not IE 7
  • Only since downloading recent Vista updates has the problem been going on.
  • The "Operation Aborted" popup window only happens about 65% of the time.
  • It's not the IE 7 security update that caused the problem
  • When I re-image my HDD from a month ago, the problem isn't there. At least not frequently enough for me to have noticed before I go to reinstall the updates.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2008

ChemKneazle is on a distinguished road
Googling some different search words led me to this article:

IEBlog : What Happened to Operation Aborted?

So apparently it's not a Vista updates thing. Well not per se, anyway - I mean it is when you update to IE 6 or 7.

But my question is now this: I've been complaining about this issue to many people for a couple of months now. Why is it that I alone seemed afflicted but nobody else? I'm completely unfamiliar with javascript or whatever's being talked about in the article - but wouldn't it be the same for everybody? Or not? Why didn't my friends get the same error as frequently as I have been? What does my computer do differently?