Wireless & Sound Problem

Internet

chicodev is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wireless & Sound Problem
i'm having a problem with my wireless connection. If i'm on the net the sound always crackles if i'm listening to music or watching something. when i disable the wirelss, the sound works fine.

any suggestions to fix this would be great

thanks
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi chicodev,

welcome aboard

Are your speakers or mic located in close proximity to you wireless connection?

regards

Steve

chicodev is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not sure its a dell inspiron 1521 laptop, i've been on 2 dell before and they were no help
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Hi chicodev,

please download Free RadarSync from https://www.plimus.com/jsp/redirect....r=vistahead s and see if it finds any new drivers for your sound and/or wireless, or any other driver for that matter.

Also how long do you have the laptop? It may still be in warranty and Dell should either fix it or replace it, if it is.

Tell us how you get on,

regards

Steve

longhairkev is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Wireless & Sound Problem
I have a Dell Studio 1735, and I have had the same problem with sound. If the wireless card is disabled, then sound is perfect. If I enable the wireless card, then there is splutter (crackles as the first poster described it). It can happen as often as every few seconds, and certainly occurs every minute or so. After much time spent fault-finding, it is clear that the wireless card is responsible. If it is on, the sound has problems, if it is off then sound is perfect.

So, I suspect there is a problem with the wireless card driver. ALL drivers on this machine are up to date (today 4th Nov 2008). I have spent a lot of time making sure that all the drivers are the correct and up-to-date versions from Dell. In addition I have tried to find a workaround by changing wireless card parameters, turning off acpi power control, etc etc, but nothing so far has resolved the problem.

I have replied to this post to confirm that there is a problem, you are not alone! Actually, I'm a little relieved that someone else has seen the problems I have. Unfortunately I have no solution either.

If anyone with the same sound & wireless cards from Dell has found a solution or a workaround please let us know. Thanks.

-Dell Studio 1735 laptop, running Vista Ultimate SP1 will all current MS updates.
Wireless card: Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N mini-card
Sound Card: IDT / Microsoft IDT codec

Kev.

PS - well with some more online searching I found this suggestion:-

If disabling your wireless card - <b>Using Fn+F2 or the wireless switch</b>, improves audio playback, then try disabling wireless band "a". See below:

1. Start --> Control Panel --> Device Manager.
2. Expand "Network Adapters".
3. Right-click on your wireless adapter and select "Properties".
4. Go to the "Advanced" tab.
5. Select "Disable Bands".
6. Pull down "Disable 802.11a".
7. Click "Apply"

...and actually - it seems to work!

Also, a positive side-effect: the wireless connection speed had previously been dropping to 11mbs even when just a few feet from the router, and now it's happy at 54mbs and remaining consistent.

Well, not really a solution but a work-around I can live with!

Kev.

Last edited by longhairkev : 11-04-2008 at 03:59. Reason: found a workaround which seems to help