"The Audio Service is not running."

Hardware Problems

klw2009 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
"The Audio Service is not running."
My speakers were fine yesterday and then today they stopped working. There's a red circle with a white "x" inside of it over my sound icon in the taskbar. When I put my mouse pointer over it, it says "The Audio Service is not running." I've tried right clicking on the icon and then clicking "Sounds" from the menu and when I do a dialog box pops up saying "This computer cannot play audio because the Windows Audio Service is not enabled. Would you like to enable the Windows Audio Service?" I've tried clicking "Yes" but it doesn't change anything. I've also tried checking for updates, uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, running startup repair, and system restore but nothing has worked. When I go to control panel/hardware and sound/device manager/view hardware and devices and then expanding "sound, video and game controllers" it says that both "Realtek High Definition Audio" and "Intel(R) High Definition Audio HDMI" are working properly. Any ideas of how to fix this?

FOUND SOLUTION:

I found this in a forum relating to the same problem and the solution worked for me.

"Start/Run/regedit

Click your way to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Audiosrv

In DependOnService remove all entries except RpcSs

Restart your computer

I wrote down the other items in the DependOnService entry just in case they needed to be added back later. Didn't have to add them back though. Audio started working after a restart."

-Posted by terrytn2000 from this forum:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...6-245a9bd02f97

Last edited by klw2009 : 03-17-2011 at 13:40. Reason: Found Solution
The Following User Says Thank You to klw2009 For This Useful Post:

gawlergal is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: "The Audio Service is not running."
Quote:
Originally Posted by klw2009 View Post
[...]

windows vista the audio service is not running

Thanks terrytn2000- I was tearing my hair out for a solution. Tried heaps of suggestions from googlers but none worked- except yours- Thank you sooo much - Gawlergal
billgrates

Re: "The Audio Service is not running."
It's quite odd why your audio service should stop like this in the first place and it was a terrible waste of time you trying to resolve it this way.