CPU usage at 100%

Hardware Problems

Anderson422 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CPU usage at 100%
Hello all, first let me start by apologizing if this post is in the wrong area. I recently had my motherboard fail, luckily I had an old mobo (Asus A8N-SLI) with a CPU (AMD Athlon 64 3800+) and RAM (2 gigs of OCZ) on standby (GPU is a BFG 8800GTS 640mb). I reinstalled Vista Ultimate 64 after installing these components it boots up however my CPU is constantly running at 100% making any task nearly impossible, I can barely install drivers. I've looked everywhere on the internet and the only advice I can find regarding this problem is to eliminate various svchost.exe tasks via task manager, this does not solve the problem however. I am at my wits end with this problem and I don't understand what is causing it, before I last upgraded my PC I had this mobo, CPU and RAM running Vista Ultimate 64 just fine however, now it just does not seem to want to. Hopefully I can get some advice on here that will help, best regards and thanks in advance, Anderson422.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Re: CPU usage at 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson422 View Post
[...]
Hi Anderson422,

2 common remedies for this type of problem are:

1. Make sure you have the latest drivers for all the hardware you have. Try DriverScanner This will tell you what Drivers are out of date.

2. Do a malware scan. Try Malwarebytes I find it very good.

Let us know how you get on,

regards

Steve

Johndoe234 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: CPU usage at 100%
This is common especially within two to three weeks after fresh Vista
installation. You should disable the windows search service and then see the CPU resources (click on graph to see process detail), in Task
manager’s Process page and then resource monitor. Do clean boot troubleshooting because something is causing this, whether itis easily apparent to you or not.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista -
support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;929135

PC Accessories