Please Help

Hardware Problems

b4rrys82 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please Help
I am in desperate need of help as I have ran out of ideas how to fix my computer. I have a Dell Inspiron 530 but I am unable to see anything on my monitor apart from snow.

The monitor and vga cables work fine with over computers so I thought it must be the graphic card that had broken. Unfortunately however I discovered that the graphics card for this computer was integrated into the motherboard but I did have an available PCI slot to attach another one.

I borrowed a graphics card to see if this would solve the problem before buying one. That was a Matrox Millenium card. After attaching that to the PCI slot I at least got a picture on my monitor. It was just a black screen with the dell logo and the the Vista Home Basic would not load any further.

I imagine that the card is not plug and play with Vista and needs a driver installed but I cannot see the screen to install the driver before attaching it.

I have the Vista boot discs and it says in the corner of this screen press F12 to boot but my keyboard does not work a this stage as it is a USB as the computer does not have a PS/2 socket. None of the LEDs on the keyboard light up as if no power at all is there.

The screen also says "IOS Revision 1.0.7" although I presume the B might just be off the screen.

If anyone knows how I can get the graphics card to work in this situation or even how I can boot it would be very helpful.

As I said the card is only borrowed so is it only this card I will have this problem with? If I buy one that doesn't need drivers installed for Vista will it work fine?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I described quite a few problems so wasn't at all sure which forum to post this in. Apologies if this is in wrong place.
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Please Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4rrys82 View Post
[...]

Hi b4rrys82,

on the Inspiron 530 you need to press F2 to get into the BIOS. F12 gives you the option to boot up from CD..etc..

The USB keyboard should work ok as this is the only way for the someone to get into the BIOS without a PS/2 keyboard.

When you get into the BIOS you should try find the option to turn off the On Board Graphics Card. Im not sure where the option is.

If you do get Vista to boot you should have the minimum resolution which gives you something ebfore you get the drivers for the PCI Graphics Card.

Best of luck,

regards

Steve

b4rrys82 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Please Help
Thanks for replying Steve.

None of the buttons work on the keyboard at all I am afraid so can't press F2 to enter Bios. Tried a couple of different keyboards too and none of them work.

I am pretty sure that none of the LEDs on the keyboard used to light up until Windows had loaded as if that is when the USB starts getting power supplied to it (although I am only relying on memory as cannot check that).