One of my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor cores has a temperature consistently lower than the other 3 cores, WHY?

Hardware Problems

montecarlo1987 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor cores has a temperature consistently lower than the other 3 cores, WHY?
Hello. I have a question. I need to know the reason why one of my cores (Core 2) is running about 3-4 degrees below the temperatures of the other 3 cores on my Intel Core 2 Q9550 Quad processor. Restarting and rebooting seems not to help, it is always the same core with the lower temperature. Is there something wrong with that particular core or something overly defective with the processor itself??? It rarely ever fluctuates and stays at 33 degrees Celsius. The other core temperatures are around 36-38 degrees at rest/idle and do frequently go up when an action is performed on the computer. I began a few days ago, and now for the last few days it is at 33 degrees.

Please let me know what is going on with this consistent lower core 2 temperature and please provide me with a reason why this is happening. Is it something that is beginning to die with this processor? Is there anything that can be done about it to get all four (4) core temperatures in balance.

Thank you!
Gurra's Avatar

Gurra is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: One of my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor cores has a temperature consistently lower than the other 3 cores, WHY?
Hi,
I would say either the cooler CPU gets less utilisation or your heat sink compound is unevenly applied. At any rate, a cool CPU is nothing to worry about - it's a good thing - it would be worse if it was overheating.
Try loading an application (e.g. a distributed computing project like seti@home) that utilises all cores at 100%, then monitor the CPU temperature.
/Gurra

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo1987 View Post