After video card meltdown, Vista still not loading GUI on new card

Hardware Problems

TheInternetItself is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After video card meltdown, Vista still not loading GUI on new card
Hey there, Vistaheads!

I'm not sure if this is a software problem or a hardware problem, but it's definitely a big problem.

I had an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS OC that had an aneurysm while I was giving it an intense workout, involving the usual sudden appearance of blocks and lines of garbage pixels. Damaged card. When I booted my computer in this damaged state it would load up the Vista loading screen, then get to the mouse pointer which I could move around, but it would stop just shy of loading up the windows logo and sound effect.

Took out the old card and installed a new one. Money issues prohibit a huge expensive upgrade, so I made a lateral move to a weak GeForce 9800 GT. Popped it in the machine and eagerly anticipated the return of my computer: no garbage pixels, booting up just fine... so far so good.

However, just like with the damaged video card, I get a movable mouse pointer but no logo and sfx. The LED on my case and the sounds my computer make indicates it's at least trying to do something.

The same thing happens when I try safe mode: no GUI present.

Here's the weird thing though: as I sat here writing this on another computer, the default Vista screensaver started running on my damaged comp. It is capable of displaying graphics.

Tomboby is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: After video card meltdown, Vista still not loading GUI on new card
Could be a problem with the mother board: When ur old card broke down, it might of shorth circuted something in the mother board, the best thing is to do some internet reasearch and find out some way of testing ur computer 4 faults.
The other way could be 2 take it to a computer repair shop so they can run a external analysis using a special thousand-doallar measuring device/computer.
Or: U could be very unlucky and get a damaged NEW graphics card that supossedly did the same thing a ur old one did