Vista PC restarts 3-5 seconds after shutdown

Hardware Problems

mbarrett is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista PC restarts 3-5 seconds after shutdown
Vista PC restarts 3-5 seconds after shutdown
I have a PC that I built a little over a year ago. It has a Asus P5KC MB, Intel 8400 duel core 3.0 ghz 45 nm processor 4 gigs of RAM. I am running Vista 64 with office 2007, open office, solidworks 2005, windows live 1care is my security manager.On Thursday the 14th of May the computer was on and the power went out for approx 5 seconds. When it came back on the computer restarted with errors saying the Cmos clock had a problem and I couldnít go to any websites because the certificates were out of date. I checked the Cmos and fond the date had been reset to 2002. I corrected that error and looked over the other Cmos setting and found nothing wrong. I restarted and was able to browse once again but I noticed the fans were running at full speed all the time. Normally you canít even hear them. When I tried to shut down the computer it seemed to shut down normally and then restarted 3-5 seconds later. This continued to happen so right when the next restart happened I held the power button in for 5 seconds and it shut down. Now the fans run full speed all the time and the computer is very slow with an excess of hard drive activity and it must be shut down this way every time. Does anyone have any suggestions please.Mike

Last edited by mbarrett : 05-19-2009 at 18:18.

jpoll is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista PC restarts 3-5 seconds after shutdown
Did you get this resolved? I'm having the EXACT same problem and I really would like to get this fixed. thanks

mbarrett is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista PC restarts 3-5 seconds after shutdown
I have not heard a word from anyone until now. I haven't been able to fix it. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to help. Any ideas?

mbarrett is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista PC restarts 3-5 seconds after shutdown
Jpoll
Do you also have a Asus P5Kc MB? I am thinking it's a MB problem.
Lir Marcellin's Avatar

Lir Marcellin is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista PC restarts 3-5 seconds after shutdown
CPUsage will shutdown or restart your computer if the CPU stays at a certain load for a certain period of time

CPUsage will shutdown or restart your computer if the CPU stays at a certain load for a certain period of time.

CPUsage is a tool that restarts or shutdown yout PC.

Useful for time-consuming tasks, like video encoding, when you DON`T know when will be finished, and you want to close your computer at, for example, five minutes after process is finished.
__________________
softphone

jessicalore is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Vista PC restarts 3-5 seconds after shutdown
[quote= I checked the Cmos and fond the date had been reset to 2002. I corrected that error and looked over the other Cmos setting and found nothing wrong. I restarted and was able to browse once again but I noticed the fans were running at full speed all the time. Normally you can’t even hear them....... Now the fans run full speed all the time and the computer is very slow with an excess of hard drive activity and it must be shut down this way every time. Does anyone have any suggestions please.[/QUOTE]

If the computer lost the date and time, that definitely means that the battery got affected when the energy went out. First you need to try replacing the CMOS/BIOS memory. Did the time and date keep changing?

If not the battery, it could be a hardware problem. You have three main options, Motherboard, Memory Ram Sticks, and CPU. That normally happens when the computer shuts down because the lack of power.

CPU and memory on my experience are the first things that can get damage more easily than the MOBO.

If the computer keeps starting up after 5 to 10 seconds, there could be special settings on the BIOS that you need to check. CPU fan running faster and louder means that the CPU is overheating or the settings inside the BIOS were changed after the energy went out and CMOS chip lost power.

Quote:
the computer is very slow with an excess of hard drive activity
It could mean you have a bad drive or you have a virus. Sometimes virus live for a long time inside PC and user never see them. Until they start cracking up the computer.

Now this is only general advice, this means I can be right or wrong. So use your own experience.

Good luck,
__________________
Houston Computer Repair
Computer Repair Blog
Passwords are like underwear: you donít let people see it, you should change it very often, and you shouldnít share it with strangers.

Last edited by jessicalore : 10-02-2009 at 16:04.

Kricket is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista PC restarts 3-5 seconds after shutdown
Hi I have been having the same problem for the past 3 weeks my fans are ok just the restarts are a problem. I have a Foxconn motherbord. Had been running a beta of windows 7 now back to vista 64. I am going to try changing the battery and afew other things and let you know asap.
zap zap is offline

zap is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista PC restarts 3-5 seconds after shutdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
Hi I have been having the same problem for the past 3 weeks my fans are ok just the restarts are a problem. I have a Foxconn motherbord. Had been running a beta of windows 7 now back to vista 64. I am going to try changing the battery and afew other things and let you know asap.
I have this problem too. did changing the battery work? please let me know if you worked this out.

Kricket is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista PC restarts 3-5 seconds after shutdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
I have this problem too. did changing the battery work? please let me know if you worked this out.
Hey there sorry i didn't get back sooner. Yes I have had no problems since changing it.