Troublshooting A Very Slow System, pre-OS slowdowns...not OS related.

Hardware Problems

buddhi225 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Troublshooting A Very Slow System, pre-OS slowdowns...not OS related.
So, I put together a mostly new system using some of the components from my previous build. The EX58-EXTREME (new) with my 920 D0 (old) and 3x1GB of Crucial MEM (old). The 80GB Intel SSD (new) is my new OS drive (replacing my 300GB VR, which will now be my games drive), and a GTX285 (new) for graphics. Also switched out my FSP 1KW PSU (old) for the new Enermax Revolution 1KW (new).

After backing up all my data, I tore down and rebuilt with the new parts. The first boot was OK...I went into the previous install to verify that everything was still there and working. I then restarted and began the install process with Vista x64 on the SSD...but that's when things started getting weird...

The first time, I thought the system had hung during the boot from disc...right after the first Vista splash screen with the scroll bar at the bottom. The Vista background scene shows up with the mouse cursor, and then it just sat there for about 5 minutes. The mouse never locked up, but the system just sat there doing nothing.

I gave up that attempt and tried to go back into my original install on the VR. This time, booting the OS took about 8 minutes...after the screen with the scroll bar, the screen went black for about 7 minutes, then entered Windows like normal. When in Windows, clicking on "My Computer" takes about 4 to 5 minutes.

So I went back out, and re-attempted to install on the SSD again...same delays, but this time I waited it out, and it eventually continued. This was the longest I ever waited for Vista to install...many delays probably took about 2 hours total.

Using the fresh Vista install on the SSD was pathetic. Again, clicking on "My Computer" takes about 5 minutes to respond. It's very much like the delay you experience when requesting "My Computer" and the OS is looking to see what is on the DVD in your optical drive, and the process appears to hang for a few seconds...only much much longer wait.

Nothing was OC'ed up to this point, I've swapped MEM with my HyperX kit, and I've tried only 1 stick. I updated from F4 to F6 BIOS. I unplugged all the SATA devices except the SSD (and all but the VR) to see if it was a weird drive/controller conflict...but I get the same results with both drives/installs. I swapped out the nVidia card for an 8800GTX and an ATI 2400Pro.

No matter what I've tried, the delays remain. I'm not exaggerating the times either...something is definitely wrong. :shrug: I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the board. But, I've OC'ed it now, and it seems to be doing fine. Windows Experience index reports 5.9 on everything. What should I try next? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Any help is appreciated!