HP all-in-one printer driver dropoff

Hardware Problems

hammysg1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HP all-in-one printer driver dropoff
I have a very, very frustrating problem with my HP all-in-one F2180 when running Vista basic. Every time I disconnect my laptop from the printer, a notification window keeps telling me that it is unplugged, and the next time I reconnect it, Vista recognises it as a new piece of hardware plugged into the USB port and wants to load the driver all over again, even though the driver is still on there. It spends 15 minutes reloading the driver all over again (asking me for the disk halfway through) and puts it on as copy (1), copy (2) etc, since the first driver is already on there (but kind-of greyed out). If I do not allow it to load the driver again the printer will not work. I have to use the HP disk to install as Vista does not seem to have this printer in its driver list. This occurs whether the laptop is switched on or off when I disconnect the printer. I have tried switching the printer to offline before I disconnect and this also makes no difference, when I reconnect, Vista still thinks it is a new piece of hardware. I have tried clicking on the "disconnect from USB port" icon on the taskbar, before disconnecting the printer but it never has the printer listed there as being connected through the USB. I never had any problems with this printer/driver on my previous laptop running Win 2000 and I do not have any problems with Vista and the drivers of any of the other things I connect and disconnect via my USB ports. I have seen this same type of problem being asked on several forums, all involving various models of HP all-in-one printers and Vista OS but no-one ever seems to be able to give an answer as far as I can see, so Iím really hoping you folks are the ones. Could someone please, please help me with this, I'm at my wit's end constantly spending 15 minutes waiting for the driver to be reloaded every time I just want to print something. As I take my laptop away on business I am frequently having to disconnect the printer and itís been driving me mad for several months now. I do not have a copy of a different operating system I could put on instead so I am stuck with Vista, and I need the scanning/photocopying features of the printer so I donít want to replace it with just a plain printer.

Pat C is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: HP all-in-one printer driver dropoff
I have exactly the same problem - have you found a resolution?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammysg1 View Post
[...]

printer driver dropoff solution!!!
Hi Guys,

after all this time and countless conversations with HP, I finally seem to have a solution, the following is an extract from the email I rec'd from HP. I downloaded the critical update and it seems to have worked! It still tells me the printer is disconnected when I take it off but it doesn't reload the driver when I reconnect it, there is just a short pause and it then tells me it is ready for use - joy unfounded!!! I can't guarantee that it will work for you as the damnable Vista seems to do weird things for different people, but it's worth a try, here's the info, good luck:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-65961-4&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&lang=en&os=2093&product=31775 62

NOTE: Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid. If this occurs, copy the portion of the address on the second line and paste it at the end of the address showing in your browser.
Steps to Download and Install the Critical update:

1. On the above web-page, click on Download Only button.
2. A File Download window will appear with Run, Save and Cancel options.
3. Click on Save.
4. In the new window, select Desktop under Save in option (you can find it on top left corner of the window).
5. Click on Save button (on lower right corner of the window).
6. Now, the download of software will start.
7. Wait until the window says Download complete.
8. Click on Open.
9. If you get another screen which has Run button on it; click Run.