Motherboard swap mess

Hardware Problems

BROKENVIEW is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motherboard swap mess
Hello all,

Ok so a few weeks ago the CPU fan went out in my motherboard. After some troubleshooting I found out that my motherboard went bad. I had a warranty on the computer and was able to RMA my motherboard for a new one.

So the company sent me the exact same motherboard which is an Intel D975XBX2. I put in the new motherboard and restarted my computer to be graced with a BSOD after the Windows loading bar came on screen. The BSOD would stay on for about a second and then reboot the computer. From this point I took out my HDD and backed it up on my roommates computer to avoid losing anything. After which I put the HDD back in my computer.

After trying various methods of trying to fix the issue I decided just try and reinstall Vista. When I went to reinstall, Vista asked me where I wanted to install it, and to my surprise my computer could not detect my hard drive or any drives for that matter. So essentially Vista had no place to install.

So when I look in my BIOS my SATA Ports 0 thru 3 show "Not Installed". However my Marvell Raid shows my HDD when I access my RAID configurations.

My harddrive is a Western Digital WD2500JS 3G SATA II Harddrive. It ran completely fine on my old Motherboard so there shouldn't be any type of Hardware compatibility issue.

So I don't understand what is happening. The HDD doesn't show on BIOS, but it does in Raid. I can't reinstall vista without having my computer detect it. I HAVE NOT formatted my hard drive, thats about the only thing I haven't done but I don't think it will accomplish anything.

I've looked into Drivers and tons of other things but can't find a clear cut answer. Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Joe

perfectgreg is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure if you can hit the delete key and try to go into the registry and see if you can not get the hard drive recognized by making a series of registry changes associated with the hard drive in a logical manner to get it to activate.

perfectgreg is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first thing it does when loading an op system is to fomat the hard drive or it has to be partitioned and then formatted. Usually in the blue screen or dos mode you get those pgs with the hard drive info you have to give it the dos instructions like FDISK and such do not know what the one is for partition think it goes auto into that when you give it the FDISK instyruction at least that was the way it was in xp.

perfectgreg is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe it defaults to something other than sata and you have to enable the sata in the registry perhaps