Gallery: Wired.com Readers' Most Excellent Telescope Photos

General Technology News

Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Gallery: Wired.com Readers' Most Excellent Telescope Photos
: Although we assume our readers to be über-capable technophiles, we were still impressed by the photos we received during our call for submissions of telescope photos. They include both photos of telescopes and photos taken with telescopes.
Click through the gallery to see the superb photography of these space fans.
Left:
Planetary Nebula Abell 78
Submitted by Don J. McCrady & Adam Block
Photographer's comment:
"Abell 78 is the colourful remnant of a dying star that has shed its spent hydrogen and helium layers at the end of its life. The outer shell contains large amounts of ionized hydrogen, while the inner shell contains large amounts of helium. This very dim object is located in Cygnus.
I took this image using the equipment at the Mount Lemmon Sky Center, under the guidance of Adam Block.
24" RCOS Carbon Truss f/8
SBIG STL-11000M (self-guided)
Luminance: 150 minutes (15 minute exposures)
RGB: 100:80:80 (10 minute exposures)
Processed with Maxim/DL and Photoshop CS3
Noel Carboni's Astronomy Tools”
: Dyer Observatory With the International Space Station and Space Shuttle Endeavor in Chase
Submitted by Billy Teets
Photographer's comment:
"This is a view of Vanderbilt Dyer Observatory, which houses the Carl Seyfert 24-inch reflector, last March in Brentwood, Tennessee. The International Space Station and Space Shuttle Endeavor were flying over with the shuttle about 20 seconds behind the station. Thirty-second exposure taken with a Sony Cybershot F717 and 0.5x wide-angle lens."
: Simple Shot of the Moon
Submitted by Jacob Riskin
Photographer's comment:
"This is a composite image I made of the moon using a Pentax K10D camera, an old eight-inch Celestron telescope and 10 separate exposures stacked with Keith's Image Stacker. Enjoy..."
: Mist on Mt. Haleakala
Submitted by Jeromy
Photographer's comment:
"I took this photo while mountain biking down the back of Mt. Haleakala on Christmas Eve 2004. Nice."
: The Loop
Submitted by JAT Observatory
Photographer's comment:
"Solar Prominence Meade LPI @ prime focus LX200GPS 10-inch F10 77mm energy-rejection filter and Lumincon Hydroden-Alpha filter."
: M45 : The Pleiades
Submitted by Eric Pieninck
Photographer's comment:
"M45 JMI 8" f3.5 Mak-Newt Losmandy G11 autoguided Canon 40d @ prime Baadar Sky Glow filter 1 x 481s @ 1250 iso 2008.09.01"
: The Sword of Orion
Submitted by Ed
Photographer's comment:
"The Sword of Orion contains the Orion Nebula, the Running Man Nebula, de Mairen's Nebula and the bright star Nair Al Saif. This image is a 1-hour-6-minute composite taken with a Nikon D50 at prime focus of an LXD75 8-inch Schmidt-Newtonain."
: Canary Islands Slooh Robotic Observatory
Submitted by Paul Cox
Photographer's comment:
"A nighttime shot of the unattended Slooh robotic observatory on Mt Teide in the Canary Islands.”
: Solar Eclipse 191
Submitted by Joel Seligmann
Photographer's comment:
"Taken on a lagoon just off the beach at San Jose Del Cabo, Baja California, July 11, 1991. At prime focus of a Meade 4-inch f10 Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope with an Olympus OM-1."
: M20
Submitted by Ari Koutsouradis
Photographer's comment:
"M20 Trifid Nebula. Taken with a Stellarvue 80ED and Nikon D50 on a Vixen Super Polaris mount. Westminster, Maryland."
: Orion Nebula
Submitted by David Mihalic
Photographer's comment:
"The Orion Nebula, Messier 42, located in the Sword of Orion."
: Eero2 — a ballscope based on the design of Arno Eero's Ball Chair from the 1960s
Submitted by Jay Scheuerle
Photographer's comment:
"This is a minimalist design reminiscent of Apple's stuff. Six-inch f/5. Frontside collimation. Curved spider. Focuser baffle. Carbon-fiber arrow shafts. Twelve-inch acrylic lighting globe. The whole thing (except for the trusses) packages up into a ball. - j"
: Polish Telescope
Submitted by Massimo Marengo
Photographer's comment:
"The Polish telescope at the Las Campanas observatory, shot during my last observing run to Chile."
: Very Large Array
Submitted by Cory
Photographer's comment:
"One arm of the Very Large Array, the well-known giant radio telescope in New Mexico."
: Saturn 04/09/2006
Submitted by Ari Koutsouradis
Photographer's comment:
"Taken with a Celestron C8 & Canon A70. 229 frames stacked in Registax."

http://www.pheedo.com/img.phdo?i=ac4...9dab136a126175http://www.pheedo.com/feeds/tracker....9dab136a126175http://feeds.wired.com/~a/wired/topheadlines?i=hjwvs5
http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=xkxNN http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=hmGFn http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=QImjn http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=91uuN

More...