Security Matters: The Seven Habits of Highly Ineffective Terrorists

General Technology News

Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Security Matters: The Seven Habits of Highly Ineffective Terrorists
Most counterterrorism policies fail, not because of tactical problems, but because of a fundamental misunderstanding of what motivates terrorists in the first place. If we're ever going to defeat terrorism, we need to understand what drives people to become terrorists in the first place.Conventional wisdom holds that terrorism is inherently political, and that people become terrorists for political reasons. This is the "strategic" model of terrorism, and it's basically an economic model. It posits that people resort to terrorism when they believe -- rightly or wrongly -- that terrorism is worth it; that is, when they believe the political gains of terrorism minus the political costs are greater than if they engaged in some other, more peaceful form of protest. It's assumed, for example, that people join Hamas to achieve a Palestinian state; that people join the PKK to attain a Kurdish national homeland; and that people join al-Qaida to, among other things, get the United States out of the Persian Gulf.If you believe this model, the way to fight terrorism is to change that equation, and that's what most experts advocate. Governments tend to minimize the political gains of terrorism through a no-concessions policy; the international community tends to recommend reducing the political grievances of terrorists via appeasement, in hopes of getting them to renounce violence. Both advocate policies to provide effective nonviolent alternatives, like free...

Wired.comhttp://feeds.wired.com/~a/wired/topheadlines?i=xJd5Q0
http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=KlTHM http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=BbS2m http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=38Xdm http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=J3HRM

More...