Gallery: The Drive-In Theater Turns 75

General Technology News

Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 178 Times in 45 Posts
Gallery: The Drive-In Theater Turns 75
: To celebrate the Drive-In's 75th birthday, we asked readers to submit their favorite drive-in photos from around the country. The now-dwindling venues have come to represent an American era of coveted cars and mesmerizing movies. Click through to see our favorite reader-submitted drive-in photos, from California to New Jersey.
Left:
Starlite Drive-In, El Monte, California
Submitted by MJ Seitz Vega
Photographer's comment:
"Starlite Drive-In is just outside of Los Angeles. Taken March 2008. Nikon FM-10 with Kodak film. The Starlite has been closed for some time. The space now hosts a swap meet several days a week."
: Winchester Drive-In
Submitted by Anthony Ross
Photographer's comment:
"This drive-in is located in Oklahoma City. Since I am not from there, I'm not sure if it is still standing."
: Apache Drive-In Theater
Submitted by R. Svirskas
Photographer's comment:
"The Apache Drive-In Theater in Globe, Arizona. It's the last single-screen in the state."
: Ford-Wyoming Drive-In, Detroit
Submitted by Jim Rees
Photographer's comment:
"The main theater is five screens; this annex is four. By some measures, this is the largest drive-in theater in the United States. To get this shot, I waited until the end of the movie (note the credits) when they turn on the poacher lights."
: Delsea Drive-In, Vineland, New Jersey
Submitted by Maggie Stewart
Photographer's comment:
"Camden was Jersey's first drive-in and this is the state's last. The Delsea Drive-In is one screen at the edge of Pine Barrens, out mostly in the middle of nowhere. Cars park on a sandy unpaved lot and tune in to movie soundtracks via their radios. Every night is at least a double feature."
: Downhill Racer
Submitted by Calum Davidson
Photographer's comment:
"Each year, the little Scottish Highland town of Cromarty hosts the world's smallest film festival, and the parking lot of the local shop is transformed into a drive-in theatre, for four cars ... This shot shows the haunting documentary Downhill Racer about the famous Highland Fairground -- aka shows -- family the Herchers. Shown projected onto the wall of Ferro Cottage as part of the Cromarty Film Festival."
: Haar's Drive-In (and Flea Market)
Submitted by Phinehas
Photographer's comment:
"Located in Dillsburg, Pennsylvania, Haar's has nearly gone out of business more than once in the past couple of years thanks to its being built on a coveted piece of land. But for the time being, one can still drive by and smell the popcorn from the concessions or go whole-hog and grab a double feature."
: Movie Manor Inn, Monte Vista, Colorado
Submitted by Aaron
Photographer's comment:
"The Kelloff's Best Western Movie Manor is an American treasure in Monte Vista, Colorado. Snug up against the Sangre de Cristos Mountains, the Movie Manor is a motel, restaurant and drive-in. There are big picture-windows in the motel rooms, which are piped for sound, so you can enjoy the feature from your room!"
: Valley Drive-In, McAllen, Texas
Submitted by Kevin Trotman
Photographer's comment:
"Taken in 1997 in McAllen, Texas. I hear it was torn down and a truck dealership stands there now."
: Waiting for the Sun to Go Down
Submitted by Danh Hoang
Photographer's comment:
"This drive-in is located in Amarillo, Texas, along the Dumas Highway (U.S. Highway 287). Before the double feature begins, people gather around the park as a social event. Kids are playing on the playground that is set up in front of the screen. The smell of popcorn in the air and the sound of laughter is a timeless event in West Texas."

http://www.pheedo.com/img.phdo?i=841...9cd31d5a341010 http://www.pheedo.com/feeds/tracker....9cd31d5a341010 http://feeds.wired.com/~a/wired/topheadlines?i=qCGy4U
http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=5Uu2LI http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=xBNpAi http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=43gkyi http://feeds.wired.com/~f/wired/topheadlines?i=KN2gAI

More...