world of warcraft slow internet

Gaming

ajordanb is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
world of warcraft slow internet
Hi,
I recently bought a new laptop (HP pavillion) and I have noticed that overall the internet is just slower on this computer than my old xp computer and macs. Its not that big of a deal when surfing the internet but for playing online games it is just too slow. I am fairly new to vista and was wondering if there were some things i could do to improve my internets performance.

*while playing WoW my latency almost is triple of normal xp or a mac.*

thanks

koseq is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: world of warcraft slow internet
go to control panel, set to classic view, double click administrative tools (should be second icon) double click windows firewall with advanced security (should be at bottom of list) click inbound rules (in the pane to the left) click new rule (in the pane to the right) click on program bubble, click next, click this program bubble, click browse, go to where the wow exe file is and click open, then click next, click allow connection bubble, click next, check all three boxes, click next, type in wow, or whatever you want, so that you can find it later, if you need to, and click finish. then click outbound rules (in the pane to the left, on the windows firewall with advanced security window) and repeat the process to make the same rule for outbound. this should ensure wow is not blocked at all by windows firewall.

then, go to wherever you have the wow exe file, and right click it, click properties (bottom of list) click compatibility tab, and check the run this program as an administrator box (at bottom) this will cause it to ask you if you want to open the game everytime you go to play, which is kinda annoying, but i have found that in many games, it gets rid of many random errors, and increases performance a little. you might also want to experiment with the other checkboxes on that page, as well as the compatibility mode selection box at the top.

bottom line, the more time spent scanning internet data, by either hardware, os, or a firewall, the more time it takes to transfer that data. thats why vista is slower for internet- because it is more secure =P
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: world of warcraft slow internet
What are the specs of your laptop? Do you have updated software or drivers for your hardware and software?
jrk86's Avatar

Location: U.S.A
jrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the roughjrk86 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: world of warcraft slow internet
Also you are not on wireless are you?

kaminiman is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: world of warcraft slow internet
program as an administrator box (at bottom) this will cause it to ask you if you want to open the game everytime you go to play, which is kinda annoying, but i have found that in many games, it gets rid of many random errors, and increases performance a little. you might also want to experiment with the other checkboxes on that page, as well as the compatibility mode selection box at the top.
__________________
mortgage insurance lead
cheaters

Tony TK is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: world of warcraft slow internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by koseq View Post
then, go to wherever you have the wow exe file, and right click it, click properties (bottom of list) click compatibility tab, and check the run this program as an administrator box (at bottom) this will cause it to ask you if you want to open the game everytime you go to play, which is kinda annoying, but i have found that in many games, it gets rid of many random errors, and increases performance a little. you might also want to experiment with the other checkboxes on that page, as well as the compatibility mode selection box at the top.
Great tip. This actually worked well for me too so I highly recommend it to anyone