Problem Playing AOE1 & AOE2

Gaming

Location: Australia
basilbrush is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problem Playing AOE1 & AOE2
Hi Guys,

Need some help have tried everying I can think off

Im trying to play AOE1 & 2 and get this message (see image)

My Video Card Drivers are upto date, and I have DirectX 9c (cant get 10 to install) I have told it to run in Compatibility mode to 98 and XP and contry to what it states directdraw is inabled (image 2 & 3)

Can anyone help?????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aoe.jpg (31.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg dd1.jpg (97.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg dd2.jpg (84.2 KB, 3 views)
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Hi Basilbrush,

what happens when you try to install Directx 10?

regards

Steve

Location: Australia
basilbrush is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What happens when I try to uppdate DirectX
I dont even get that option from Vista Update

When I go to Update DirextX it goes to 9c automaiclly
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Hi basilbrush,

you can download it from here and install it manually. Hopefully this might help as a start,

Steve

Location: Australia
basilbrush is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have done that thanks Steve

but still no joy I have also downloaded the latest patches from Msoft but still get that error.

Is there an otion to install the DLL of previous versons so that it works?? maybe DX5
Steve's Avatar
Moderator

Location: Emerald Isle
Thanks: 24
Thanked 177 Times in 45 Posts
Hi basilbrush,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier

I left out the link to DX 10..... DirectX® 10

There is a utility for removing DX at Download DirectX Eradicator 2.0 - DirectX Eradicator - safely remove the DirectX runtime core component from Windows - Softpedia .... could be dodgy though

I dont like the idea of messing around with DX like that.

Have you tried running AOE1 by right clicking and selecting Run As Administrator?

regards

Steve

Location: Australia
basilbrush is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got it to work under a Vitual XP Machine but even then it only works centered in screen and not expanded

Might have to face it that AOE1 & @ and Warcraft 1 &2 just cant be played on Vista hohummm!

SubZero is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have AoE II, It runs fine on my laptop.

Do you have the trial version or the full game?