Article ID: 931712 The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive an error message that includes the following code when you try to use Windows Update: "0x80073712"

English

KBArticles's Avatar
Super Moderator

KBArticles is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Article ID: 931712 The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive an error message that includes the following code when you try to use Windows Update: "0x80073712"
Article ID: 931712 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712/

More...

edarague is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Article ID: 931712 The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive an error message that includes the following code when you try to use Windows Update: "0x80073712"
No clear answers on the Internet gives to this problem because surely not have had forums and consult others or imagine the situation, but to me if that happened and I posted the solution.

Symptoms:
1. The dialog box "Windows features" is blank
2. "Sfc / scannow" does not work
3. In the system event appears repeatedly: "The service modules, Windows Installer closed with the following error: Insufficient system resources to complete the requested service." with Event ID: 7023

After seeing my system event log I found that the record size limit was exceeded and this was preventing that could enable and disable Windows features, then what we did was increase the registry size limit as explained in: Understanding and configuring Registry Size Limit (RSL) (Understanding and configuring Registry Size Limit (RSL)) ... I put in the maximum (0xffffffff) and presto, it worked again, "Turn Windows features on or off." Even the other user suggested making a scan of system files with the command "sfc / scannow" did not work, but now with this small change IF ...

I remember having this problem before, but had not remembered as he had settled, so I'm posting to find it easily in case I forget again and share it with the agony of many other users.

Now, why is it?: I'm going to speculate at this answer but it seems logical ... in my case always requires installing software engineering and often it creates number of records in your facility by a substantial amount of libraries that contain, probably exceeds that limit registration and the problems begin ... why by default the system does not come with the maximum value of log size, I think probably not to occupy system resources, so if I leave it to the experts.

Good luck, hope you can work at all.

Edward Guevara
edarague@hotmail.com