Installing QuickBooks 2002 on Vista Home Premium

Business Software

barrotra is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Installing QuickBooks 2002 on Vista Home Premium
I have been using Q/B 2002 successfully on three computers with Win98, XP Pro and XP Home.

However, when my HP notebook failed recently I replaced it with one which came with VISTA Home Premium pre-loaded.

I have tried to load Q/B 2002 onto this new computer but only get as far as ver 7.4 upgrade (which proceeded 2002).

Ver 7.4 actually operates fully on Vista, except that my data file is 2002 version and therefore incompatible with this earlier version.

When I try to load the 2002 program I get the following error message:

"A registered copy of Quickbooks was not detected on your machine. The installation will be aborted.

This upgrade requires that you have a registered copy of Quickbooks version 7.3 or above on your machine for the installation to proceed."

ON choosing "OK" (the only option given), the installation program aborts

I have a registered copy of QB ver 7.4 on this computer as mentioned previously in this post.

Does any one have a solution as to how I can get the program to read this registration information (whereever it may be located) in order for the installation to proceed?
micahsdad1402's Avatar

micahsdad1402 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Installing QuickBooks 2002 on Vista Home Premium
Hi,

I had that issue. However I went back to XP and then later upgraded to Vista, and QB worked.

However, I've now put Windows 7 on my notebook, from a clean install (was time to do a refresh), and have hit the same issue. Did you find an answer?

JJ.

barrotra is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Installing QuickBooks 2002 on Vista Home Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahsdad1402 View Post
Hi,

I had that issue. However I went back to XP and then later upgraded to Vista, and QB worked.

However, I've now put Windows 7 on my notebook, from a clean install (was time to do a refresh), and have hit the same issue. Did you find an answer?

JJ.
The solution that I have used is to install a Virtual Machine on my computer using XP as the operating system for the VM. I then loaded Quickbooks on that VM and all is fine. Given the issues rthat you have now encountered with Windows 7 this might be the way to go.

Good Luck

mejico is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Installing QuickBooks 2002 on Vista Home Premium
The workaround I used in Windows 7 was to install the earlier version of quickbooks then run in XP SP2 compatability mode (if the the app was already registered this will cause you to re-register). With the earlier version now registered run the 2002 upgrade in XP SP2 copatability mode. This worked for me, I hope this helps.

Cheers
micahsdad1402's Avatar

micahsdad1402 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Installing QuickBooks 2002 on Vista Home Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejico View Post
The workaround I used in Windows 7 was to install the earlier version of quickbooks then run in XP SP2 compatability mode (if the the app was already registered this will cause you to re-register). With the earlier version now registered run the 2002 upgrade in XP SP2 copatability mode. This worked for me, I hope this helps.

Cheers
I actually got it to work without any of these issues.

Copied the files from another install in to Program Files (x86)
Went through all the dlls in the register.bat file in the program folder, and copied them into the correct places
registered all the dlls
exported the registry settings and updated them to use the wow64 key(don't remember exact name)
reimported the registry settings.

Was something like that but did it months ago, so memory is a bit thin.
John Jacobson
Gold Rush Technology
www.goldrushtechnology.com.au

stan826@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Installing QuickBooks 2002 on Vista Home Premium
I have just installed QB2002 on mu Vista Home Premium system.
All seems to work OK, except that I cannot print/display a reconciliation report. I get a 'file in use message' that won't go away. The only way to recover is to use the Task Manager to end the program. Data is saved, fortunately.