Windows Photo Gallery loads too slow

AskVG Vista

ipetree is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows Photo Gallery loads too slow
I have to browse through folders with 50-100 photos and they take FOREVER to load in Vista's new pain-in-th-#$!!#$ Photo Gallery.

I JUST WANT TO LOOK OVER THE THUMBNAILS TO CHOOSE THEM FOR EDITING IN ANOTHER PROGRAM!

Windows Picture adn Fax viewer worked great for this.

It appears that Vista is loadiing them all every time I look at an individual file.
Anyone know a better way to view photo files?

I downloaded another photo viewer program and Vista just kept blocking it whenever I used it.

Vista has been nothing but a colossal pain in my you-know-what.

Thndrbll is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Windows Photo Gallery loads too slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipetree View Post
I have to browse through folders with 50-100 photos and they take FOREVER to load in Vista's new pain-in-th-#$!!#$ Photo Gallery.

I JUST WANT TO LOOK OVER THE THUMBNAILS TO CHOOSE THEM FOR EDITING IN ANOTHER PROGRAM!

Windows Picture adn Fax viewer worked great for this.

It appears that Vista is loadiing them all every time I look at an individual file.
Anyone know a better way to view photo files?

I downloaded another photo viewer program and Vista just kept blocking it whenever I used it.

Vista has been nothing but a colossal pain in my you-know-what.
Wondering if you ever found a solution. I am experiencing a similar problem. Thanks for any info.

ipetree is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Photo Gallery loads too slow
Sorry, no. And I now have another problem. I cannot get thumbnails pf the pictures to show AT ALL, only stupid file type icons. I have to load them in Image gallery and wait for them each to load in order to see them.

So it just gets worse and worse.

Man, I HATE Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thndrbll View Post
Wondering if you ever found a solution. I am experiencing a similar problem. Thanks for any info.

Thndrbll is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Windows Photo Gallery loads too slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipetree View Post
Sorry, no. And I now have another problem. I cannot get thumbnails pf the pictures to show AT ALL, only stupid file type icons. I have to load them in Image gallery and wait for them each to load in order to see them.

So it just gets worse and worse.

Man, I HATE Vista.

OK..I was experiencing the same original problem you described. "I have to browse through folders with 50-100 photos and they take FOREVER to load in Vista's new pain-in-th-#$!!#$ Photo Gallery". it was taking forever to open Pictures Folder..and then to move in and out of folders within the main Pictures folder was torture. Unresponsive EVERY time

I found the solution..at least for me.

If you happen to have Large Icons in your Pictures Folder, change the folder "view" option from large icons to small using the View menu in the upper left of the Pictures Folder.

Once I did, Vista loaded all the picutres instantly when I opened the Picures Folder. No more "Not responding" and waiting 5 minutes nonsense.

I am now able to switch the view back to Large Icons or even Extra large and the pictures still load instantly.

I assume that at some point in Vista, a glitch appears that causes Vista to slow when attempting to open and read the contents of the Picture Folder when the large icons are selected as the view option. The OS gets slowed and stuck while reading and showing all the pics. Switching the view seemed to "snap" Vista out of it and correct it. So far it seems to have fixed the problem.

Such a simple solution for a problem that has eaten at my brain for over a month now.

Hope this helps. And for what it's worth...yeah...Microsoft really failed with Vista. No wonder the don't sell XP anymore. If they did. NO ONE would use VISTA. NO ONE.

a19215 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Photo Gallery loads too slow
Thank you very much for posting your fix. I was having the same problem as you and did as you said and no more problems.

Thanks again!
felix_jiang

Re: Windows Photo Gallery loads too slow
I encounter this issue recently with TIFF images. I tried the FixIt solution described in Computer is slow when Windows Photo Gallery displays TIFF images that do not fit into one page in Windows Vista and the problem is gone. The solution is easy and fixed my problem automatically. Not sure if this solution can fix the slow issue with other type of images. You can try it.

felix_jiang is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Photo Gallery loads too slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_jiang View Post

Sorry the link I provided in my previous thread is wrong. the correct link should be: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930097 Computer is slow when Windows Photo Gallery displays TIFF images that do not fit into one page in Windows Vista